16585 - Class G 12 Steam Locomotive (N Scale)
Class G 12 steam locomotive
Prototype: Freight train steam locomotive 1930 (later class 58.10-21) of the Württemberg State Railroad. With kerosene lighting. Operating condition shortly after delivery by the Esslingen machine factory around 1920.
Product description Model: The locomotive and tender are mostly made of die-cast metal. With 14-pin digital interface. Motor with flywheel in the boiler. The locomotive and tender are closely coupled. 5 axles powered by coupling rods. Traction tires.
Length over the buffers 116 mm.
Soon after the beginning of the First World War, the German War Ministry recognized that the large number of different steam locomotives not only severely impaired rail operations, which were important for the war, but also their maintenance. Therefore, as early as 1915, the War Ministry demanded the development of a high-performance standard goods locomotive with the lowest possible axle mass (16 t). To quickly reach a conclusion, a commission was formed which included not only representatives of the railways but also the military. The Prussian members finally pushed through the construction of a 1'E superheated steam locomotive. At the beginning of 1917, the Borsigwerke received the order to prepare the construction documents for the new locomotive. Based on a 1'E locomotive for Turkey, the new "standard locomotive" was developed within a very short time. The first machines were completed in 1917 and were given the designation G 12 in Prussia, Württemberg and Baden. In Saxony, the G 12 was listed as the XIII H. With a boiler height of 3,000 mm, the Belpaire rear boiler and the continuous bar frame, the machines no longer had anything in common with the Prussian locomotive building traditions. In contrast to the previous sheet metal frame, the low bar frame now made it possible to place the fire box on the frame and, above all, to widen it laterally. For the first time, it was now possible to achieve a grate surface not only through the length of the grate but also through the width of the grate. As further innovations there were safety valves of the Coale design and the equipment with a uniform feed water purifier. 1,158 machines alone were manufactured by AEG between 1917 and 1921 for the Prussian State Railways and later for the DRG Borsig, Hanomag, Henschel, Krupp, Linke-Hofmann, Rheinmetall and Schichau built. The Baden, Württemberg and Saxon state railways procured additional G 12s. In the DRG redesignation plan of 1925, the Baden G 12 mutated to the DRG class 58.2-3, the Saxon G 12 (see XIII H) to the BR 58.4, the Württemberg G 12 to the BR 58.5 and the Prussian G 12 to the BR 58.10-21 . They were used in almost all Reich Railway Directorates. During the Second World War, numerous machines went abroad, including Bulgaria, Austria and Poland. The copies that remained with the DB were retired by 1953. In contrast, the DR locomotives were indispensable for a long time and the original version ran in the Ore Mountains until 1976. Several G 12s have been preserved, including the operational 58 311 of the Ulm Railway Friends.
Art.No. 15534 Freight car set Prototype: 5 different freight cars for the Württemberg and Baden state railways. 1 boxcar with a brakeman's cab, 1 tank car, 1 boxcar G10, 1 type Omk gondola with a load of coal, 1 thermal insulation car for transporting beer.